A report on what Democrats and Republicans watch on TV came out recently. I took the liberty to express my own views on their findings posted in red.
– The Daily Show With Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report (Comedy Central): As you might expect. I think both shows are funny.
– 30 Rock and Parks and Recreation (NBC): Literate media-savvy comedies score high among Dems in general, notes Experian-Simmons senior marketing manager John Fetto. “Sarcastic humor is always a hook for them,” he adds. Also a hook for me. I like Tina and Amy as comedians.
– The View (ABC): Shows that skew female tend to do better among Dems, while male-friendly shows tend to do perform higher among Republicans. Okay, I admit I watch just so they can annoy the crap out of me.
– Glee (Fox) You win!
– Modern Family (ABC): Last year, the progressive Glee and Modern Family scored surprisingly strong among both political leanings. Among conservatives this year, the shows still do fairly well, but have dropped out of their top ranks. Anyone that doesn’t find this show to be funny is a moron. I don’t care what anyone says.
– It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FX) I LOVE THIS SHOW!
– Treme (HBO): GOP Kryptonite. Not only a Dem favorite, but so unpopular among Republicans that the report scores the show with a “*” because not enough conservatives in the study group had actually watched it. What is this show?
– Cougar Town (ABC) As Long as she was a firend on Friends, I’ve liked Courtney. Show is funny too.
– The Late Show With David Letterman and The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson (CBS): Dems favor late-night programming, with one big exception that we’ll see below. Letterman has become a partisan so, go figure. Craig is really funny. Like!
Also in the mix: The Soup Joel is Hillarious! (E!), Aqua Teen Hunger Force (Adult Swim), Raising Hope (Fox), Saturday Night Live (NBC), The Office (NBC), Project Runway (Lifetime), Shameless (Showtime), Parenthood (NBC), Conan (TBS). Have not watched Aqua Teen but all on this list are good.
– Swamp Loggers (Discovery) and Top Shot (History): Gritty documentary-style work-related reality shows on cable index really strongly with conservative Republicans. Swamp Loggers is particularly polarizing. Really, Swamp Loggers is POLARIZING!?!
– The Bachelor (ABC): They also tend to gravitate toward broadcast reality competition shows. JUMPED 7 SHARKS 7 YEARS AGO!
– Castle (ABC): Ranks fairly high among Dems, too.
– Mythbusters (Discovery) Dems probably hate the idea of anyone busting MYTHS!
– Only in America With Larry the Cable Guy, American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Swamp People (History): If you’re a Republican candidate looking to raise money, put ads on History. Real Americans that don’t buy coffee at Starbucks is a tough sell.
– The Middle (ABC): Does well among libs, too. Does well with libs because they haven’t found out one of the cast members is a conservative.
– The Tonight Show With Jay Leno (NBC): “Did you hear about this? Yeah, this is true: Jay Leno is the late-night choice among conservatives… “ Because he’s not afraid to tell jokes about Obama.
– The Biggest Loser (NBC) You’d think this was Michelle Obama’s favorite show.
– Hawaii Five-O, NCIS, The Mentalist (CBS): Popular crime dramas — except the left-wing Law & Order franchise — tend to draw a conservative crowd. Have never seen any one of them. Nor am I interested.
Also: Dancing With the Stars results show (ABC), Man vs. Wild (Discovery), Auction Kings (Discovery), Wheel of Fortune (syndi), Top Gear (BBC America). All of these are wrong. Where’s Jeopardy?
CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN LEAST FAVORITES:
– Weeds (Showtime): Female-centered drama, lots of drug use and a morally murky antihero help make this show the lowest-ranked series among righties. DUH! Glorifying marijuana.
– The Daily Show With Jon Stewart and The Colbert Report (Comedy Central): But not disliked equally. Republicans prefer Colbert between the two (maybe some pretend he’s being serious).
– South Park (Comedy Central): Aww, South Park is an equal opportunity offender! But, again, media-darling sarcastic comedies tend to be a turn-off. Still love these guys and I don’t care who they offend.
– TMZ (syndication) Because the show is stupid. But I like when they make fun of the whole celebrity thing.
– General Hospital (ABC) HUH?!?
– Family Guy (Fox) We know McFarland is a lib. That’s why we love the show. Those who don’t like it lack a sense of humor, that’s all.
– Dexter (Showtime): Again, that antihero thing… Whatever you say. I’ve never seen an episode.
– Jersey Shore (MTV) Hahahahahaha. Why would you bother adding this to the list? If libs love it, it explains a lot!
– The Walking Dead (AMC): Really? But it’s about the Apocalypse! And, now we’re fans of the end of the world?
Also: Divorce Court (syndi), The Big C (Showtime), Let’s Make a Deal (CBS), Bridezillas (WE), My Fair Wedding With David Tutera (WE), Don’t Forget the Lyrics (VH1). ?????
I Don’t Care What Libs Hate… but here’s the list anyway.
LIBERAL DEMOCRAT LEAST FAVORITES:
– Swamp Loggers (Discovery): What are they doing on this show, feeding Nancy Pelosi to alligators?
– Dog the Bounty Hunter (A&E) and COPS (syndication): “Question authority.”
– The Ultimate Fighter (Spike TV): Conservatives can make their own “cut and run” jokes…
– The Price Is Right (CBS): Annnnd a budget-crisis joke.
– CSI: Miami (CBS)
– Kitchen Nightmares (Fox): Odd. Who doesn’t like a clean kitchen?
– Secret Life of the American Teenager (ABC Family): Not popular among stalwart Republicans either.
– Ghost Hunters (Syfy), Ghost Adventures (Travel Channel) and The Haunted (Animal Planet): Libs don’t believe in an afterlife? Or just don’t believe in shaky night-vision reality shows that claim to prove an afterlife?
Also: Operation Repo (TruTV), Swamp People (History), Hardcore Pawn (TruTV), River Monsters (Animal Planet), Deadliest Catch (Discovery), Only in America With Larry the Cable Guy (History), Storm Chasers (Discovery), Billy the Exterminator (A&E), Deal or No Deal (GSN), Forensic Files (TruTV), Dirty Jobs (Discovery).